Left Continue shopping
Your Order

You have no items in your cart

Sottimano, Barbaresco 'Fausoni', 2019

Get 10% off purchases of 12+ bottles of wine.
(Use code 10OFF at checkout.)
In stock and ready to ship
From sandier soils, this tends to be more accessible young than the Pajore. Long macerations and a small percentage of new wood are used here.


  • Pick up today at 873 Broadway
  • Same Day Delivery - Call us at (212) 477-1315 for more details.

  • Shipping calculated to

Barbaresco's getting hot fast and we are now in what may be a fairly short window when good buying opportunities abound. Tighter allocations and higher prices seem to be just around the corner.

How did we get here? Sottimano's story explains a lot.

It started in the late 1960s, when Sottimano, based in Neive with vines there and in Treiso, was among the first to follow in Gaja's steps and set up shop selling domaine bottlings. You can still, very occasionally, find old bottles of Sottimano from the 1970s and they are amazing. Then, in the 1990s, Sottimano went through a modern phase. Like so many other producers, they made wine with too much new oak.

But the domaine started change things up in 2004. Not everything at once, of course, but between 2004 and around 2010, Sottimano cut down drastically on new wood, eliminated all chemicals in the vineyard, and switched to wild yeast fermentation. The results have been stunning. As Kerin O’Keefe puts it in her great book, Barolo & Barbaresco, Sottimano “has undergone a radical and very welcome change in all aspects of its wine-making philosophy [and] is now turning out terroir-driven Barbaresco that are both exquisite and complex.”

Professional Reviews

Robert Parker

RP 93
"The 2019 Barbaresco Fausoni is a little more open and immediate compared to the other new releases in this portfolio of excellent wines. The bouquet is redolent of dried raspberry, cherry, sweet soil and candied lilac." -Robert Parker

Wine Spectator

WS 94
"A rich and round style, this red boasts plum, cherry and black currant flavors, with accents of earth, iron and menthol. Well put-together, even if the tannins are dense and assertive on the finish. Delivers earth and spice notes that linger."

Wine Enthusiast

WE 96
"Enticing aromas of rose, iris, culinary spice and botanical herb take shape in the glass along with whiffs of crushed berry on this fragrant red. The focused, linear palate is still tightly wound and austere, offering juicy red cherry, star anise and thyme set against bright acidity and firm, close-grained tannins. It's loaded with nervous energy and needs time but already shows great class."

What importer Skurnik Wines has to say about this wine...

100% Nebbiolo from 45 year old vines planted to soils composed of sand and clay
Fermentation and maceration on the skins for about 40 days with indigenous yeasts
Malolactic fermentation in French barrels coopered expressly for Sottimano by Francois Frères in Burgundy
The wine remains on the lees for approximately 24 months
10% of the barrels used for aging this wine are new; the remaining 90% have previously been used up to 4 times. No fining or filtration


  • Grape Variety


  • Vintage


  • Size


  • Farming Practice


  • Sweetness


  • Body

    Full Bodied

Customer Reviews

Be the first to write a review