Single-vintage-dated Sherries are very rare. Normally the Sherry is aged in a solera, where the barrels are refreshed yearly and a finished wine is a blend of every vintage since the establishment of that particular solera. The only reason to keep a barrel seperate and not part of a solera system is if the wine is so exceptional it deserves bottling on it's own. This is that wine.
A 50 year old bottle of wine feels ancient to me but, to Bodegas Tradición, its a drop in the bucket. This family run bodega can trace its roots back to 1650 with the establishment of Bodegas CZ. They passed their legacy and accolades down for 300 years until, in a devastating legal maneuver, the original company was sold out from under the family in 1978. It took 20 more years for Joaquín Rivero to pick up the reigns and establish Bodegas Tradición, as they are now known today.
It's current inception was focused solely on reconnecting Sherry lovers to their historical past by selecting wines from old and exceptional, but nearly forgotten, soleras. They have slowly expanded their offerings as they rescue the barrels from across the Jerez region. Today I am able to offer their very oldest, single vintage bottling, an Oloroso from 1970.
The original 624 liter butt (the name for a Sherry barrel) has concentrated through evaporation over time and a mere 400 bottles were filled.
- Manhattan, Brooklyn & Queens: Free on $149+ orders, otherwise $12.99 per case.
- Rest of New York State: $12.99 per case.
- CT & DC: $12.99 per case on $149+ orders, otherwise $29.99 per case.
- Rest of US: $29.99 per case.
- We presently do not ship to: AL (except to state stores), AR, IL, IA, KY, MI, MS, MT, LA, NV, NH, ND, PA, TN, TX, UT, and VA.
- We do not ship spirits outside of NY
- We ship in foam and hold during extreme weather.
- Learn more about Shipping.
- 10% off any mixed case
- Doesn't apply to spirits or items marked NET
- Return corked bottles if they are less than 10 years old
- Return any bottle that have been improperly stored
- Returns must be made within 60 days of purchase
- Read the full details of our Return Policy.
- Wine is stored in our refrigerated store cellar.
- Some fine and rare wine is displayed in our physical store in Eurocaves.
- Current vintages are sourced from authorized importers or dealers in Europe.
- All wine transported across the ocean in refrigerated boats.
- Older vintages may be srouced from private clients where we are confident of correct storage conditions.
Earthy , Elegant , Rich