The Couroulu is a traditional Southern Rhône blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. There is a reason why these grapes go together so perfectly: Grenache delivers fruit and breadth, Syrah offers freshness and aromatics, and the Mourvèdre provides the wine backbone with its naturally tannic structure. Together, you have a beautifully complete wine.
At Couroulu, it works extremely well. The trick there, aside from hands-off traditional wine-making, is that they have an assortment of terroirs, perfectly suited for each grape. The Grenache, which makes up about 60% of the blend, grows in soils with large pebbles (galets) just like you find in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Meanwhile, cooler slopes are reserved for Syrah and Mourvèdre. This means that the Syrah preserves its freshness, and the Mourvèdre can hang for a long time before it is picked (it is the last grape to be harvested at this estate), allowing its important tannins to ripen and soften.
We love this quote from Jancis's Robinson's Purple Pages so much that we repeat it here: "Le Couroulu delivers the WOW holy trinity: affordability, availability and dependability....Le Couroulu (the name means curlew in Provençal, as the label suggests) is one of those sweet-spot producers whose wines are a joy to discover."
- Free in NY, NJ, CT and DC on $149+ orders. Otherwise $2.99/bottle, minimum $10 (higher rates apply to AK and HI).
- We presently do not ship to: AL (except to state stores), AR, IL, IA, KY, MI, MS, MT, LA, NV, NH, ND, PA, TN, TX, UT, and VA.
- We do not ship spirits outside of NY
- We ship in foam and hold during extreme weather.
- Learn more about Shipping.
- 10% off any mixed case
- Doesn't apply to spirits or items marked NET
- Return corked bottles if they are less than 10 years old
- Return any bottle that have been improperly stored
- Returns must be made within 60 days of purchase
- Read the full details of our Return Policy.
- Wine is stored in our refrigerated store cellar.
- Some fine and rare wine is displayed in our physical store in Eurocaves.
- Current vintages are sourced from authorized importers or dealers in Europe.
- All wine transported across the ocean in refrigerated boats.
- Older vintages may be srouced from private clients where we are confident of correct storage conditions.
- Read our Safe Shopping Guarantee.