The vines were planted in classic granitic soils back in the 1970s. They are farmed biodynamically. The wine is made with the natural, ambient yeasts and minimal intervention. They are fermented and raised in a combination of concrete eggs and old wooden barrels and sulphur is used only at bottling and in tiny amounts—way below levels humans can detect.
The wine has just a touch of wild. The fruit has blues and blacks and, thanks to 2016's freshness, some shades of red and violet. It tastes very real, very lively, and very Cornas.
Here is how Paul Boyer (who represents the wines here in NY) describes his visit with Matthieu:
"Visiting Matthieu was magical. We listened to Nirvana and drank old Cornas while his kids asked me what Brooklyn was like. Matthieu is a little bit of a wild man, but his winemaking is very serious and focused. He walks a line between “natural” and classic in his style and is unconcerned with fashion and trends in wine.”
- Free in NY, NJ, CT and DC on $149+ orders. Otherwise $2.99/bottle, minimum $10 (higher rates apply to AK and HI).
- We presently do not ship to: AL (except to state stores), AR, IL, IA, KY, MI, MS, MT, LA, NV, NH, ND, PA, TN, TX, UT, and VA.
- We do not ship spirits outside of NY
- We ship in foam and hold during extreme weather.
- Learn more about Shipping.
- 10% off any mixed case
- Doesn't apply to spirits or items marked NET
- Return corked bottles if they are less than 10 years old
- Return any bottle that have been improperly stored
- Returns must be made within 60 days of purchase
- Read the full details of our Return Policy.
- Wine is stored in our refrigerated store cellar.
- Some fine and rare wine is displayed in our physical store in Eurocaves.
- Current vintages are sourced from authorized importers or dealers in Europe.
- All wine transported across the ocean in refrigerated boats.
- Older vintages may be srouced from private clients where we are confident of correct storage conditions.
- Read our Safe Shopping Guarantee.