We think of Peter Lauer as representing the very best of what is the most exciting trend in the world of German wine. A new generation has been reclaiming German tradition, restoring old vineyard sites and returning to traditions like aging the wines in old wooden fuder. They have done so with new respect for nature, practicing organic agriculture and preferring minimal interventions in the winery.
Peter Lauer happens to be doing all these things in some of Germany’s best terroir, literally around the corner from where Egon Müller makes his Grand Crus. This is the Saar, where Riesling takes on a wispy, salty dimension that simultaneously enchants and refreshes.
This is a very good time to drink Peter Lauer’s wines, whether you are new to them or not, as we just received the first arrivals from the very-anticipated 2019 vintage. They come from the bottom of Lauer’s range, but they are actually many fans’ favorites, for they really deliver those refreshing Saar flavors in an uncomplicated, highly drinkable format. Dry-tasting (there is just enough residual sugar to balance out the natural acidity), these are perfect for getting you through the last few weeks of this rather strange summer
Barely more expensive than the Barrel X, and yet this is a single vineyard (100% from Ayler Kupp, a Grand Cru!) wine produced from 70 year old vines, many of which are ungrafted. This is weightier than the Barrel X, but also drier.
- Manhattan, Brooklyn & Queens: Free on $149+ orders, otherwise $12.99 per case.
- Rest of New York State: $12.99 per case.
- CT, NJ & DC: $12.99 per case on $149+ orders, otherwise $29.99 per case.
- Rest of US: $29.99 per case.
- We presently do not ship to: AL (except to state stores), AR, IL, IA, KY, MI, MS, MT, LA, NV, NH, ND, PA, TN, TX, UT, and VA.
- We do not ship spirits outside of NY
- We ship in foam and hold during extreme weather.
- Learn more about Shipping.
- 10% off any mixed case
- Doesn't apply to spirits or items marked NET
- Return corked bottles if they are less than 10 years old
- Return any bottle that have been improperly stored
- Returns must be made within 60 days of purchase
- Read the full details of our Return Policy.
- Wine is stored in our refrigerated store cellar.
- Some fine and rare wine is displayed in our physical store in Eurocaves.
- Current vintages are sourced from authorized importers or dealers in Europe.
- All wine transported across the ocean in refrigerated boats.
- Older vintages may be srouced from private clients where we are confident of correct storage conditions.
The Saar is our kind of region: cold and mineral-rich but with sun that makes Rieslings as succulent as they are perfectly seasoned with salt and racy acidity.Peter Lauer makes some of our very favorite Saar wines. It's a bit hard to pin down exactly how Peter Lauer fits into today's Riesling zeitgeist. He's best known for his forward-leaning dry wines.But he's not just a trippy natural grower. He's a neighbor of the great Egon Müller, and while their wines are oceans apart they share so many affinities, starting with a love for German tradition, terroir-specificity, and brilliance in Riesling. The Lauer wines are often described as drier, which is true as far as it goes; but even his driest wines have fruit and their own sort of decadence. They certainly have the Saar purity we love.Probably, we just have to accept that there are multiple ways to express the greatness of the Saar.